Sunday, August 16, 2009

Surprise Cookie

The dessert of the week is the Surprise Cookie from Martha Stewart's Cookie book. I baked the cookies to specifically take to the Pain Train softball game this past week. As the former Pain Train captain, I felt it was my duty to support the team I create every year. Let's hear it! Pain Train! Woo woooooo!!!



Ingredients
for the cookies
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
About 15 marshmallows, halved crosswise

for the frosting:
3 cups confectioners' sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Make cookies: Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
2. Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium high-speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk and vanilla. Mix in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined.
3. Using a 1 3/4 inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately press a marshmallow half on top of each cookie. Bake until marshmallows begin to melt, about 2 minutes more. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
4. Make frosting: Put confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. Melt butter with the cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add butter mixture to the confectioners' sugar. Whisk in milk and vanilla.
5. Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting on top of each cookie to cover marshmallow. Let stand until set, about 10 minutes. Cookies can be stored in single layers in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 days.

Overall the cookies were good. I loved the marshmallow on the inside and next time I make them, I will consider adding more marshmallow. In addition, I need to make sure I have enough powdered sugar next time. This time I just halved the icing recipe which meant I ran out of icing before I was done icing the cookies. I give these cookies 4 out of 5 stars and will make them again someday.

1 comment:

  1. I have a few suggestions for you! They're from kraftfoods. I've made about 100 of their recipes, so if you ever want to try something out but are feeling skeptical, ask me and I might have made it! Anyway these desserts have been some of my favorites from that website. Sorry two of them have peanut butter...E's obsessed with peanut butter!

    - Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cupcakes (you inject peanut butter in to the middle of the cupcake)
    - Triple Layer Peanut Butter Brownies (I get compliments ALL the time for these)
    - Banana Sour Cream Cake (I've made this twice and both times people were freaking out demanding the recipe. Gotta admit, it's pretty damn good)

    ReplyDelete