Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Chicken, Red Grape, and Pesto Pizza

I was browsing the September 2009 Cooking Light magazine when I found this Chicken, Red Grape and Pesto Pizza recipe. I talked my mom into buying the ingredients and made the pizza for dinner earlier this evening. I actually have never made a pizza from scratch...so this was a first. (even though the dough wasn't from scratch)



Ingredients

1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated thin-crust pizza dough
Cooking spray
1/3 cup refrigerated pesto
1 1/2 cups seedless red grapes, halved
8 ounces shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. On a lightly floured surface, pat dough into a 12-inch circle; gently place dough on a pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Spread pesto evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Arrange grapes evenly over dough; top evenly with chicken. Top with garlic and mozzarella; sprinkle with Romano and pepper. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with onions. Cut into 12 wedges. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 wedges) Calories: 364 per serving

Overall, this pizza turned out really good. I loved the tomato pesto sauce that my mom bought to go on this pizza. It was a pleasant (and much welcomed) addition to the recipe. My main complaints are as follows: The dough was a little watery and the pizza cooked a lot faster than I anticipated. The water I believe came from the grapes which seeped fluid while cooking. I don't think I could have prevented this. I loved eating with chicken with grapes. Although it sounded like a strange combination when I first read the recipe. Despite these two complaints, I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to make pizza and plan on making pizza again in the near future. I give this recipe 4 out of 5 stars. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment