Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chicken Cobbler Casserole

Amidst my interview trail, I managed to squeeze into my busy schedule an Epiphany party with the friends in Houston. What's the epiphany you may ask? I quote Wikipedia on this, but the epiphany is a Christian holiday on January 6 celebrating the visit of the Magi to the infant Jesus. In Hispanic cultures, gifts are given on the Epiphany instead of on Christmas day. Anyways, for the party, I decided to make a Chicken Cobbler Casserole from Southern Living 40 Years of Our Best Recipes.



Ingredients:
6 Tbsp melted butter, divided
4 cups cubed sourdough rolls
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

2 medium size sweet onions, sliced
1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup white wine
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup drained and chopped jarred roasted red bell peppers

Directions:
1. Toss 4 Tbsp melted butter with next 3 ingredients; set aside.
2. Saute onions in remaining 2 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add mushrooms, and saute 5 minutes.
3. Stir in wine and remaining 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until bubbly. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish; top evenly with bread mixture.
4. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Overall, I really enjoyed this recipe. It was well received from the group too. I will definitely make it again. Next time though I will make sure to cook the chicken at the beginning so it is ready to add direction #3 when it calls for it. I give this recipe 4 out of 5 stars. My favorite part of the recipe was the mushrooms. They were excellent. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment