Monday, February 22, 2010

Chocolate Crackles

Several of days ago I went over to Chef Danny Jacob's house for a cooking lesson.  We set up an exchange in which I show him some of the things I have learned baking and in return, he teaches me some things about cooking.  Sounds like an amazing deal to me!  We made a seared salmon that was scrumptious with oven roasted purple fingerling potatoes and an arugula salad with pequillo peppers.  It was awesome.  My dessert pick was Chocolate Crackle Cookies from Martha Stewart's Cookie Book.  I made these cookies last spring at my parent's house with my younger sister, and I thought they were worthy of a remake for this particular occasion. 



Chocolate Crackles from Martha Stewart

Ingredients
8 ounces bitter sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar


Directions:
1. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water stirring.  Set aside and let cool.  Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

2. With an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.  Mix in eggs and vanilla, and then the melted chocolate.  Reduce speed to low; mix in flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk.  Divide dough into four equal pieces.  Wrap each in plastic; refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.

3. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Divide each piece into sixteen 1-inch balls.  Roll in granulated sugar to coat, the in confectioners' sugar to coat.  Space 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

4. Bake until surfaces crack, about 14 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.  Let cool on sheets on wire racks.  Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

Boy are these cookies are seriously good.  :)  I originally gave them 5 out of 5 stars last year when I first made them, but I guess my grading scheme is getting a little more stingy with all of the baking and this year I give them 4.7 out of 5 stars.  In other words, these cookies are still awesome and worthy of your time and effort.  These cookies taste more like little cakes in texture and density.  They are the type of cookies that you need people around to eat with you otherwise you may find that you have consumed them all.

The learning moment for today will be passed because I am behind on posting recipes and I am seriously tired.  Until next time!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I make these too and they're ALWAYS a hit! I make them out of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook though, so I'll have to try this one and I'll let you know how they compare!

    ReplyDelete