Saturday, July 24, 2010

Peanut Butter Cookies

This month has been tough.  Transitioning into residency has been more difficult than I anticipated.  I knew I wouldn't have a life, but I guess I got use to fourth year of medical school.  Anyways, I haven't had any time to bake all month.  I spend most of my free time sleeping honestly and when I am awake, it is at night.  I have though been staring at various recipes that I have been dying to make.  Sarah Yoder gave me a book of recipes from graduation.  She is one of the best bakers I know.  Anyways, some of the recipes are lock and key type recipes and I will never publish them here.  However, some of them are not as secretive.  She gave me some advise that I have tried on several occasions but have been unsuccessful thus far.  This advise was as follows:  If you like a dessert at a restaurant or meal, ask for the recipe.  I was out with my mom a month ago and I tried this...it didn't work, but I will try again.  The worst they can tell you is no right?  :)  Anyways last Christmas, Sarah baked cookies as her gift.  These Peanut Butter Cookies were included in the package.  I remember them tasting quite awesome.  I can only hope that some of her baking skills rub off on me and I can duplicate some her success.




Ingredients
2 cups of Natural Peanut Butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
24 hershey's kisses(optional)

Recipe:
Stir peanut butter and sugar together until smooth.  Add eggs one at a time.  Mix in baking soda, salt and vanilla.  Chill dough at least one hour.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Roll dough into balls (makes about 24 cookies); place on cookie sheet.  Flatten gently and bake 6 to 8 minutes.  Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet about 10 minutes.  Put kiss in cookie center while still warm.

Wow!  These cookies are as good as I remember them and so easy to make.  Literally mixing them was less than a ten minute task.  It's a perfect dessert for a time crunched individual.  I give them 4.5 out of 5 stars. Each bite is of peanut buttery goodness.  The cookies melt in your mouth.  Sarah's tip in this recipe was to use natural peanut butter.  I did and I think it is the key to success.  The peanut butter is more pure tasting in the cookie.  Like usual, better ingredients yield better results.  I am 100% positive that these cookies are absolutely awful for you...they are peanuts and sugar...but who cares right?

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! We've made these before and they usually turn out good. You can mix it up and use Hugs as well for white chocolate goodness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danny LOVES these cookies, so I'll send him your address so he can request a batch. I'm glad you got a chance to bake 'n blog even during night float. Things will seem better when you are no longer on night float.

    ReplyDelete