Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chocolate Ice Cream


About a week ago, my next door neighbors and I watched a movie together and made ice cream.  The movie of the night was Whip It.  (Honestly, I think the movie could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse)  So we picked out a recipe on one of the first websites we googled.  I am not going to lie...it is a crazy simple recipe.  But residency has been rough lately and we needed something easy to make.  We made not just any ice cream, but chocolate ice cream.  The inspiration for this ice cream was my friend's new ice cream maker and a strong desire to eat lots of ice cream. 

Ingredients for a batch:
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 can condensed milk
1/2 pint whole milk

1. Dissolve the cocoa with a little hot water.
2. When fully dissolved, stir in the milk (condensed and whole milk)
3. Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions
4.  During the last 5 minutes add mix-ins (chopped chocolate, cookies, etc)
5. Freeze mixture.

One of the things I really liked about this recipe is the fact that the ice cream did not taste like eggs.  A lot of ice cream recipes call for eggs but if you slightly overcook the eggs....your ice cream tastes eggy. (for lack of a better word)  One thing I don't quite understand is how the substitute of condensed and whole milk is sufficient.  The ice cream tastes wonderful.  I actually have relatively few complaints about it.  The ease and simplicity of the recipe lessen my complaints as well.  I give this recipe 4 out of 5 stars.  However, if you happen to know why this recipe works...please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. YUM, ice cream! If you feel like making cookie dough ice cream and bringing it to me sometime, I wouldn't mind. ; )

    ReplyDelete