Friday, July 10, 2009

Strawberry Shortcakes

It has been a while since I wrote in the blog. I just started my month of critical care and I am back to the trenches working long hours. I am officially a fourth year medical student though. So yay!! Only one more year to go!! Last Saturday for the fourth of July, the Coop had a cookout. One of my friends suggested making this Strawberry Shortcake recipe from the back of the Bisquick box for the cookout. I have to say I was a little skeptical at first, but when I went to the store and the strawberries were 99 cents, I decided to go for it.


Ingredients:
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick mix
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed

Directions
1) Mix strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar; set aside. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
2) Stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 Tbsp sugar and the butter until soft dough forms. Drop by 6 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3) Bake 10-12 min or until golden brown. Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped toppings.

Makes: 6 shortcakes

Overall, this recipe turned out well. I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. For a recipe on the back of a box, it was quite good. I think ripe strawberries are the key though to this little recipe. I recommend cutting each shortcake in half and stuffing the center of the shortcake with whipped cream and strawberries. It is in my humble opinion the only way to eat strawberry shortcake and way better than serving the strawberries on the side : )

No comments:

Post a Comment