Saturday, July 18, 2009

Triple Chocolate Cake

Potluck time again! I guess you could say we have a lot of potlucks. My friends all know that I have a knack for desserts. So it was requested that I bring a dessert to this little event. I searched through my cabinet and found that I was only missing the chocolate chips from this recipe. So why not make Triple Chocolate Cake right? This recipe comes to you from my McCormick Cooking with Flavor book. Enjoy!




Ingredients:
1 package (18.25 ounces) devil's food cake mix
1 package (4-serving size) chocolate instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Chocolate Glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1) Beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil and Pure Vanilla extract in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
2) Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into greased and floured 12 cup Bundt pan.
3) Bake in preheated 350 oven 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted i center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack and cool completely.
4) For the glaze, mix sugar, milk, and butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Stirring constantly on medium heat, bring to boil and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips and Pure Vanilla Extract until chips are melted. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake.

Makes 16 servings
From: McCormick Cooking with Flavor

Overall, I give this recipe 4 out of 5 stars. Everyone at the potluck loved it and it was promptly gobbled up. The main comment from the crowd was the cake was quite moist. The pudding in the recipe makes the cake quite moist and the cake melts in your mouth. Mmmmm.... : )

To make a note about how I made the recipe though, if you take a close look at the pictures, you may note chocolate chips in the glaze. This was a mistake on my part. It did not detract from the taste of the recipe. Make sure when you make the glaze for this recipe, do not add the chocolate chips to the saucepan while it is heating. I realized in the middle of making the glaze that I made this little error and rather than burn the chocolate over the gas stove, I decided to take it off without the chips fully melted. Hence the above look. This being all said, the cake was a hit and I would definitely make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment